April8 Meeting Minutes
Home

STRATHROY CARADOC YOUTH HOCKEY                                                                April 8, 2008

MINUTES


Minutes of the Strathroy Caradoc Youth Hockey meeting held this date at the Middlesex Community

Living Building at 7:30 p.m.


PRESENT

Tara Bolton

Jennifer Baxter

Milt Agate

Ron Fischtner

Teresa Fischtner

Don Lyons

Jeanette Lyons

Henry Salomons

Adrian Martin

Tim Wright

Sheila Pelleboer

Steve Luciani

Adrian Tamminga

Warren Jutzi

Heather Langdon-Muldoon

Shannon Leitch

 

APPOINTMENT OF 2008/2009 SEASON COMMITTEE POSITIONS

The Committee discussed the appointment of the 2008/2009 season Committee positions. It was noted that position duties will be clarified further at the next meeting of the Committee. The following positions were decided upon:

President: Heather Langdon-Muldoon

Vice Presidents: Don Lyons & Jeanette Lyons

Treasurer: Tara Bolton

Registrar: Steve Luciani

Secretary: Shannon Leitch

Equipment Manager: Tim Wright

Technical Support: Warren Jutzi

Referee Organizers: Sheila Pelleboer & Adrian Tammingo


Convenors:

A – Ages 5-7 years: Jennifer Baxter

B – Ages 8-10 years: Milt Agate

C – Ages 11-13 years: Henry Salomons

D – Ages 14-17 years: Vacant



1. 2008/2009 Registration

The Committee discussed registration for the upcoming 2008/2009 season. It was decided that the first round of registrations will be done in person on May 30, 2008 between 7:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. and on May 31, 2008 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Heather Langdon-Muldoon will investigate the use of the Gemini Sportsplex meeting room for these registration dates. The Committee will review the need to advertise additional registration methods if there is room for additional players to enroll after the main registration weekend. All registrations will be on a “first come – first served” basis. In person registrations will be handled by age group so the Committee is able to track enrollment spaces in an ongoing fashion and decide if placing players on a waiting will be necessary.

Steve Luciani will update the registration form with suggestions from Committee members. It was noted that the new registration form will require that one form be filled out for each player and will also include a tear-off tax receipt. The new form will be available to be downloaded off of the SCYH website. Jeanette Lyons will contact Strathroy Sports Excellence and Doug & Marion’s Bike Shop to request that forms be available for pick up at their locations.

The Committee decided that full payment must accompany all registrations. Post-dated cheques will be accepted on a case by case basis. In call cases, full payment must be made prior to the season commencing in October 2008.

 

2. 2008/2009 Ice Time

The Committee discussed ice time for the upcoming season. Heather Langdon- Muldoon will contact the Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc to apply for ice time at the West Middlesex Memorial Arena. The committee will request additional ice time in case enrollment increases. Based on the outcome of the registration weekend, the Committee will review the need to give back ice time to the municipality or to request additional ice time possibly at the Gemini Sportsplex.


3. Maintaining the SCYH Philosophy

The Committee discussed the need to have players/parents sign a form to ensure that they are aware of the SCYH philosophy. The Committee discussed possible discipline and fines that may be associated with players not adhering to the philosophy. It was suggested that first offences be dealt with by a warning and second offences require that the player be suspended from playing for the remainder of the season with no refund. The Committee will discuss this issue further at a future meeting.


4. Referees

The Committee discussed the need to have trained referees. There was discussion regarding the use of coaches for refereeing purposes. It was noted that some coaches may be opposed to refereeing. It was decided that trained referees should be utilized for Groups C and D (ages 11 and up) at a minimum. The Committee inquired as to the use of high school students refereeing to help achieve their required community hours. It was noted that the high schools will not advertise positions for students to help receive community hours which makes it difficult for this system to work. The Committee discussed alternative ways to advertise for referees. The referee organizers will investigate ways to train referees and report back to the committee.

The Committee decided that the end of the season pizza party would be canceled and the cost savings from this would be designated to the proper training of referees.


5. Other Business

5.1 The Committee discussed the need to have a P.O. Box designated to SCYH. Jeanette Lyons will investigate this process.

5.2 It was decided that the website be used to give parents and players up-to- date useful information, including Committee members contact information and financial statements. Warren Jutzi suggested that all Committee members review the website and make suggestions for improvements directly to him.

5.3 It was suggested that a coaches meeting be held late summer to organize the coaches and provide them with information from the Committee.


ADJOURNMENT

The meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m. The next meeting will be May 1st, 2008 at 7:30 p.m. at the Middlesex Community Living Building.

                                                                   

Heather Langdon Muldoon - President

 

                                                                  

Shannon Leitch